Wednesday sees 67 COVID-19 cases and two deaths in Greater Lincolnshire

A man who targeted several ATMs across the country, including Lincolnshire, causing over £ 60,000 in damage is now behind bars after being sentenced to 11 years in prison.

George Tunney, 24, targeted nine ATMs in Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire just months after he was released from prison.

Tunney was charged with conspiracy causing explosions, conspiracy, theft and handling of stolen goods following the crimes committed in January and March 2020. They were all caught on video surveillance and showed him how to use stolen vehicles.

He pleaded guilty to all charges and was banned from driving for eight years in addition to his prison term.

Tunney began the offenses in January 2020, initially targeting three ATMs on January 6th. These included the Cantley Post Office near Doncaster, Barclays Bank in Lakeside, Doncaster, and Barclays Bank in Hessle near Hull.

The next day on January 7th, he tried again in the Cooperative on Dysart Road in Grantham and the post office in Mansfield.

Tunney failed to access cash, but he caused several thousand pounds in damage to the business owners.

He then aimed at the Spaceways Service Station in Nether Poppleton in North Yorkshire. He again caused thousands of pounds worth of damage, this time stealing over £ 57,000 in cash from an ATM.

In a second spate of attempted theft in March, Tunney targeted the post office in Shepshed, Leicestershire, the jet garage in Adwick, near Doncaster, and an ATM at the cooperative in Starbeck, near Harrogate. In one such attempt, Tunney stole over £ 35,000 in cash.

A few days later, on March 10, at around 2 a.m., North Yorkshire police discovered one of the stolen vehicles near York.

The vehicle started at high speed as officers followed and the chase continued for some distance. The vehicle then went the wrong way around a roundabout before entering the wrong side of the A64 dual carriageway.

Shortly thereafter, it was found that it hit the parking barriers at the McArthur Glen York Designer Outlet.

Officials began searching the area before the NPAS helicopter discovered a source of heat near the River Ouse. The officers then located the suspects who were hiding in a tree trunk and were subsequently arrested.

Last November, a Norfolk man and a Doncaster teenager were charged with conspiracy charges of explosions, conspiracy charges of break-ins and heavy vehicles that played their part in the March spate of attacks against Tunney.

Fran Naughton, North Yorkshire Police Superintendent, said: “The verdict against Tunney is clear evidence that this type of crime will not be tolerated. Not only did Tunney and his staff endanger many lives from the dangerous use of explosives, some of which were used on fuel delivery yards, they also caused damage well over £ 60,000 to a number of companies.

“These companies provide vital local services to their communities, and many have been out of service for long periods of time during repairs.

“This was a full investigation backed by SaferCash and the companies involved in these crimes. Numerous preliminary investigations have been launched to ensure that these criminals are exposed to the consequences of their actions. I want to thank everyone who helped to achieve a successful outcome for this case. “

Comments are closed.