Dog in ‘lucky escape’ after getting huge blade of grass stuck up his nose

A woman warned other dog owners after her dog became seriously ill after a large blade of grass was stuck in its nose.

Glennis Graham and husband Alan had stopped in Gosberton with their white Highland Terrier Monty to see their son Jamie on his way to a vacation in Norfolk on Saturday 5th June.

The couple who live in Little Haywood in Staffordshire decided to give the pooch some exercise and took him for a walk where he ate some grass.

But when they returned to the house, they noticed that the 11-year-old pet wasn’t his usual sprightly self.

Glennis, who is 70 years old, said, “We came into the house and he went into the garden.

“He was fine for a few minutes and then he started shaking, sneezing, coughing, and lifting.

“We thought he was going to get sick. It didn’t go away. He wasn’t sick but he started dribbling which he usually doesn’t because he is a West Highland Terrier.

“He was very desperate.”

There is a really easy way to make sure you stay up to date on everything that’s happening in Lincolnshire.

Just subscribe to our free daily email updates to get the best local stories straight to your inbox.

To sign up, just go to this page – or enter your email in the black box at the top of this story.

Knowing something was definitely wrong, Jamie found the address of the nearby Sutterton Veterinary Hospital and the family immediately went there.

On the way, however, Glennis noticed blood from Monty’s nose and on his bedclothes and feared bleeding.

But when the vets ran tests, they noticed a bit of weed and it was then discovered that the pooch had a large blade of grass up its nose.

Glennis said, “We looked into the vets and they were really, really efficient and nice.

“He saw a bit of weed go up his nose that was causing this reaction. That’s why it was bleeding.

“As soon as the vet took it out with tweezers, Monty was fine.”

A relieved Glennis is grateful that they managed to get it out as the grass could have caused serious injury or even death if it had been pushed further up.

She said, “It was fantastic. Once it was gone he was fine. Of course it could have gone into his lungs.

“I told my brother about it earlier and he said a friend of his had a dog that inhaled a semen.

“He was really sick and died when he breathed it into his lungs, got an infection and died.

“I suppose we were very lucky that Monty reacted like that.”

Monty has since made a full recovery and walks and eats well while enjoying his Norfolk vacation.

However, South Lincs Group Vet Ltd, the company responsible for the establishment, has warned other dog owners saying Monty was lucky enough to avoid further injuries.

On Facebook it says: “Monty was very lucky that his owners found a vet so quickly. It’s shocking how far grass seeds and blades of grass can migrate, making them extremely difficult to find and remove.

“Please make sure to check your pet’s body including their paws, ears, eyes and nose when coming from grassy areas, and call your veterinarian as soon as possible if you think your pet may have a grass seed.” Has.

“The sooner your pet comes to us, the greater the chance of solving the problem.”

Continue reading
Continue reading

Comments are closed.